How to Apply (MFE)
After October 15, 2018, Western MFE will be accepting applications for Fall 2019 admission through Western's online Graduate Program Application . Interested candidates are invited to initiate an online application after reviewing our Application Requirements below. Applications completed by February 1, 2019 will be considered by the MFE Admissions Committee.
Please do not submit any paper documents in support of your application. All documents supporting your application must be uploaded electronically into the online application. The Admissions Committee will only review applications within the application portal so all information must be included in your online application.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: February 1, 2019
Transcripts are required from all post-secondary institutions attended whether a degree was conferred or not. Upload in PDF format.
- Unofficial transcripts (academic records) may be uploaded initially. If you are offered admission to the program, you will be required to submit an official transcript at a later date. Past or current students of Western University do not need to provide transcripts for their academic history at Western. This information will be obtained internally.
Applicants who are currently enrolled as students should make sure that a record of their performance for the first term of the current year is submitted.
Candidates who apply before the end of the first term should update their applications by sending first-term results as soon as they become available.
- If you have attended or are currently enrolled at any Ontario university or college other than Western, you MUST upload any transcripts at the time of the application.
- If the transcript and degree certificate are not in English, a certified translation must also be included. (Non-English transcripts from institutions within Canada do not require a translation).
In addition to academic records, the Admissions Committee requests more detail on your quantitative course background. A list of the courses you have taken in Economics, Finance, Mathematics and Statistics is required. For second and upper year courses, please provide the title and author(s) of the main text used.
Two references are required; at least one must be an academic reference. After the applicant enters the details for each reference, Western will email them within 2 hours. A unique link will be emailed to each referee, allowing them to log in to a secure site and submit their reference online. No paper reference letters are required. You will be notified by email when the request is sent to your reference and notified again when the reference is completed.
Please upload your responses in this PDF fillable form to the online application
- General questions providing an opportunity to discuss your professional, extracurricular and related skills and interests.
Proficiency in English Scores are required for applicants without a degree from an English Language Degree Program.
- Applicant must have testing service send score to Western
- The Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Minimum score requirement is 550 paper based, 213 computer based, and 86 with no individual score below 20 on the internet based version. Western's TOEFL ID is 0984.
- The International English Language Testing Service (IELTS) of the British Council. Minimum score requirement is 6/9.
- TOEFL or IELTS scores that are more than two years old will not be accepted.
- Western’s Institution Code is 0984 and the Department Code is 1801. All candidates are encouraged to take the Graduate Record Examination General Test and submit their scores. Applicants whose previous degree is not from a Canadian university are required to submit the GRE (GMAT may be used as a substitute) Western MFE's GMAT code is CMB-NT-85. Others who feel that their academic record may not provide an accurate measure of their promise for graduate work in economics, as well as for those who do not have an Honours Economics degree, will find it in their interest to take these tests also. Students who take the exams when they are offered in October, December, or January will have their scores available in time to be considered by our Department. The deadlines for registering for the exams are about seven weeks before the exams are given. For information and registration forms, write to Graduate Record Examinations, Educational Testing Service, Box 955, Princeton, New Jersey 08541, U.S.A.
A professionally formatted resume highlighting your work and extracurricular experiences, technical skills and academic background. Note, prior professional work experience is not an admission requirement.
The application fee is $115.00. Western accepts payment by credit card (Visa/MasterCard) or cheque/money order. If paying online by credit card, ensure your browser's pop-up blocker is disabled.
Please retain your Western email login credentials, application number and Western student ID#. You may modify your application, including uploading documents, up until you click 'submit'. If you have a revision to make after submitting your application, please send your inquiry to the MFE Program at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating your application number and student ID# in the body of your message.
As an applicant, the Western Student Center will allow you to:
- Update personal information (including contact information)
- Check your application status
- Explore the Western course catalog
- Accept an offer of admission
Once Western receives your completed application and payment, an automated email will be sent to you confirming receipt of the completed application. The School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies will complete a preliminary assessment of your application to calculate an admission average, establish an academic degree basis for your potential admission and determine any additional documentation required by Western should you receive an offer of admission. After your application passes through the preliminary assessment phase, an email will be sent to you confirming receipt of your application to the program to which you applied.
Although you apply through one central graduate application at Western, ultimately your application is collected and assessed by the MFE Admissions Committee. No application will be considered until it is complete. The responsibility rests with the applicant to ensure their application is complete and submitted by the February 1st application deadline. All applications will be considered after the deadline, not before. The review process takes four to six weeks. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted on a rolling basis through February for an interview to be conducted in person or via Skype.
The admission review process takes four to six weeks following the February 1st deadline. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. All candidatees will receive email notification of the Admission Committee's final decision. If there is a change in your status, you will be contacted via email by the MFE Program staff. You may login to Student Center to view your status at any time.
- Applicants who have been offered admission to the School of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies can accept or decline their offers of admissions online through the Western Student Center.
Login into Student Center with your Western Personal Computer Account credentials and locate the Admissions grid. Select "Accept or Decline" to begin the decision process