Labor Day Conference
May 18th, 2011
University of Western Ontario
**Note room change now in Economics Department
Room 4161, SSC, UWO
Registration for Western Participants
Please e-mail Leslie Kostal (Subject Line: Labor Day Conference) to provide the following information:
- Confirmation for attendance at lunch (Sponsored by
- Confirmation for attendance at dinner (Honest Lawyer, 228 Dundas Street, Downtown London)
- UWO (Required
documentation for land borders.)
- Social Science Centre
- Parking (The parking attendant behind
the Social Science building will provide free parking to Labor Day Conference
participants. For detailed instructions, click on the "Clickable Map": Social
- Room 9420 (Follow the ramp to the back doors of the building. Use the elevators on the left to the 9th floor. Signs will direct you to Room 9420.)
- Parking (The parking attendant behind the Social Science building will provide free parking to Labor Day Conference participants. For detailed instructions, click on the "Clickable Map": Social Science Lot.)
For conference participants in need of accommodation, the following options are available:
- Station Park
Inn - located in downtown London (For a special conference rate,
identify yourself as a U.W.O. visitor.)
Manor - located just north of the UWO campus
Bed and Breakfast - located in Elgin Hall on the UWO Campus (basic,
- Delta London Armouries -- located in downtown London (For a special conference rate, identify yourself as a U.W.O. visitor.)
|9:30 am||Continental Breakfast|
|10:00 am||Masashi Miyairi (University of Western Ontario)
"Immigrant Job Search Behavior and Wage Assimilation in Canada"
|11:00 am||Melvin Stephens (University of Michigan)
"Schooling Laws, School Quality and the Returns to Schooling"
(with Dou-Yan Yang) (slides)
|12:00 pm||Lunch (Sponsored by CIBC)|
|1:00 pm||Jesse Gregory (University of Michigan)
"The Impact of Grants and Wage Subsidies on the Resettlement Choices of Hurricane Katrina Victims"
|2:00 pm||Stephen Woodbury (Michigan State University)
"Long-Term Effects of the Work Test and Job Search Assistance: Reexamining the Washington Alternative Work Search Experiment" (with Merve Cebi)
|3:30 pm||Elizabeth Quin (Michigan State University)
"Guaranteed Transfer Policies and Post-Secondary Outcomes"
|4:30 pm||Youngki Shin (University of Western Ontario)
"Testing for Distributional Treatment Effects: A Set Identification Approach" (with Sung Jae Jun and Yoonseok Lee)
|5:30 pm||End of Conference: Dinner (Honest Lawyer: 228 Dundas Street, Downtown London)|
*The conference is open to faculty, post-docs and graduate students at the University of Western Ontario, the University of Michigan and Michigan State University.
Papers (and accommodation information) will be posted as they become available.