Information for Visitors

As a visitor, you are responsible for making your own travel arrangements; we will take care of your London hotel reservation if requested. Please note that original, itemized receipts and boarding passes are required for the reimbursement of all qualified expenses.

Air Travel*

If you expect your airfare to exceed $600, please notify us for approval.

The local London International Airport (YXU) offers direct flights to several cities, including Calgary (West Jet), Ottawa (Air Canada), and Toronto (Air Canada).

The Robert Q Airport Bus makes frequent trips daily between London and both the Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ) and the Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) (approximately a 2 hour drive from each). Reservations are necessary for Robert Q. (1-800-265-4948 or 519-673-6804)

Porter Airlines offers some inexpensive flights to Billy Bishop Airport (YTZ) (formerly Toronto Island Airport) in downtown Toronto. You can take a Via Rail train to London from nearby Union Station.

*IMPORTANT: See below for information about Canada’s new entry requirements for visitors from visa-exempt countries entering Canada by air.

Train Travel

Train travel on Via Rail Canada may be an option if you are coming from a nearby Canadian city. Express rail service, Union Pearson Express, is available between Union Station in downtown Toronto and Terminal 1 at Toronto Pearson International Airport.


If driving your own car, we will reimburse you based on an allowance of 54.5 cents/kilometer up to a maximum of $100. (See Treasury Board of Canada for the most recent kilometric allowance rates.) Alternatively, we will reimburse the actual cost of a car rental, plus gas receipts and tolls.

If you are driving to campus, you can park behind the Social Science Centre in "Lot J". Take a ticket from the machine to display on your dash. We’ll give you a parking pass to hand to the attendant when you exit the lot so that you will not be charged for parking.

Entry Requirements for International Visitors

New requirement: Except for U.S. citizens, citizens of visa-exempt countries entering Canada by air must obtain an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) prior to their visit. The online application is simple and processed within minutes. Your eTA is valid for five years or until your passport expires, whichever comes first.

All citizens of visa countries require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to enter Canada. Since processing times can take several weeks, applications for a TRV should be made well before your visit.